Lola's Reviews > Exodus

Exodus by Julie Bertagna

Jan 20, 15

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, dnf
Read from January 05 to 06, 2012

I've read 140 pages and then put it down. I was really looking forward to this book, when I saw the cover and read the blurb I decided I had to have this book and immediately ordered it. I mean the cover is so beautifull and the story sounded so original.

So now I am finally reading it and my enthousiasm got less every page. The story is about Mara, she lives on an island in the atlantic ocean. The sea is rising and soon there will be nothing left of their island. In her cyberwizz on the weave (don't aks me what it is I have no idea) she finds out that skycities exists and so there is hope. Then they all leave the island in search of these sky cities. Don't get me wrong it doesn't go as fast as implied here, this really takes some time.

We get introduced to some characters, but I never really felt a connection with any of them. We get to know a bit of the world, but really it is too little. The islanders don't know a lot about the world, but this makes it really difficult to get a sense of anything that is happening. Then a lot of the book is spend of the islanders being on a boat and trying to reach the sky cities. But instead of an epic yourney with many interesting characters there is nothing. No interesting story, not enough explanation. I even have no idea what the boat looks like and how many people are on it, all we get to know is that there are many people and too less food and drink.

I really wanted to like this book and I've read it through a long time, but I just could't continue any more. It was just too boring, the characters didn't interest me and there was just too less information about them. It also was confusing at times. Mara has a cyberwizz, this is some sort of computer which consist of a glowing globe and with a magic wand and glasses. A with that magic wand she types something somewhere. I really don't get it. And then there is the weave, I think this must be the interenet, but it also looks like a game. Maybe it is some virtual reality, but there are also monsters and information and she can hear people outside the weave. I just wish there was some more explantion of everything.

To conclude: I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. The story is original and the cover is beautifull, but that are the only two positve points I can think of. The characters where boring, the world confusing and the story not interesting. I really did my best to like this book, but in the end I just put it down feeling so disapointed that a book with so much promise and originality could not entertain me. Maybe I will pick it up later again, but not now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exodus.

01/06 page 96
01/20 marked as: dnf
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renée (new)

Renée - Novel Nutcase And? Is it any good? (The cover looks to good to be true...)

message 2: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola don't read it. It is boring and there is a serious lack of character and world building. I've read 140 pages and then stopped. It could't hold my interest. I am so disapointed, I was really looking forward to this one

message 3: by Renée (new)

Renée - Novel Nutcase tnx for the heads up!