Greg's Reviews > My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide

My Father, Maker of the Trees by Eric Irivuzumugabe

Dec 15, 11

liked it
Read on December 15, 2011

I was surprised by this book on many accounts. I was surprised by the depths of depravity that is possible in the human heart, and the way that humans can be have when operating out of that depravity. I was surprised by the courage and determination of the survivors, and those being hunted down and slaughtered for no other reason that the families they were born into. I was surprised by the desperate measures that needed to be taken, on a daily or hourly basis, just to remain alive.

But most of all I was surprised by the way God has worked through the people who have endured these horrors, the comfort and closeness that they now experience with God, and the fresh grace of God (like the green shoots pushing up through the ashes after a bush fire) that is present in their lives and that empowers them to carry a message of hope to their hurting nations.

The narrator does a great job with expressing the feeling of this book, it seems that he has the same accent as I would imagine the author to have, and this adds to the authenticity of the listening experience
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Father, Maker of the Trees.