Bethany's Reviews > The Other Felix

F_50x66
Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: juvenile, family, contemporary
Read in December, 2011

Felix lives in a big city; he's never seen real mountains or lakes, but now he sees them every night, when he dreams. Every time Felix sleeps, now--now that his father's work project is going badly and his dad's never around and there's a big kid at school who doesn't want to be Felix's friend--he winds up in a wild world of monsters and Other Felix. Other Felix saves Felix from the monsters, shows him how to build a bow, how to hunt, how to fight monsters, and the Felixes are friends; Felix even looks forward to dreaming, to getting away from home and school. But Other Felix starts having trouble fighting the monsters, and he begins acting weird and not very nice, and Felix suddenly doesn't want to be there, either.

I...don't know if I liked this. I was reading the book, interested and needing to know what would happen, waiting to find out What Was Going On. I was anticipating some big reveal, a twist or a resolution with a bang, and I didn't get one. It's a very exciting book, with the monsters and the jungle, but in the end, nothing really does happen, and things in Felix's real life improve slightly. So, while there's adventure and suspense, it's also somehow a very quiet book, a look inside the psyche of a stressed little boy, and ultimately, it's very realistic. I guess I kind of liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Felix.