M—'s Reviews > Paladin of Souls

Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold

Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, reviewed, z-do-not-delete

Don't get me wrong: I enjoy the heck out of Bujold's writing and I'm eagerly looking forwarding to the rest of the books in this series, but this book swept the major scifi award trio? It was good, but I didn't think it was that good.

It's worth noting this is the best-formatted ebook that I've read. This copy included an ebook extra of a dictionary listing of names and terms, completely hyperlinked to the words in the text. 100 pages in and encounter a character whose name is only vaguely familiar to you? Click the name to link to the dictionary, click the name again to get back to exactly where you had been in the text. Even without the hyperlink functionality, the dictionary extra was a stellar inclusion. Information in it included author asides of miscellaneous detail, admission of corrections and past errors, and other such interesting ilk.

Favorite typos (tie):

The Curse of Chalion is listed twice in the Other Books By Bujold section. (p. 421)

Second, though it hardly counts:
Demi: (DEM-mee) Groom in the castle in Valenda.
Deni: Groom in the castle in Valenda (typo for Demi). (p. 9)

Quotes pulled from ISBN 9780061748905.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paladin of Souls.

Quotes M— Liked

Lois McMaster Bujold
“And the Bastard grant us... in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word.”
Lois McMaster Bujold, Paladin of Souls