Gloria's Reviews > The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Jul 20, 12

Read from July 19 to 20, 2012

"History is that certainty produced at the point where the imperfections of memory meet the inadequacies of documentation."

This is meant to intrigue us, and put a deeper meaning to the seemingly mundane life of the narrator of the story.
When, truly, it seems he's no more than an observer (and not a very astute one at that).

An ambitious little novel, well-written, but lacking a whole sense of completion. I suspected the outcome long before the narrator did, which is always a bit frustrating as a reader (you find yourself wanting to reach into the pages and slap them).

So, a quick read, but one I'm sure which will not stick with me long-term.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sense of an Ending.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by sckenda (new)

sckenda I have wanted to read Barnes for a long time. Oddly, my first choice was nonfiction, Nothing to Be Frightened Of, because I found it at a bargain bin and I was interested in his take on death. Despite Barnes' attempt to address ultimate meaning, I was not overwhelmed; however, I do look forward to trying his fiction. I am inclined to read Flaubert's Parrotor Arthur & George.

Gloria This was my first Barnes and I'd definitely give him another go. The latter of the titles you listed intrigues me a bit.

Mark Arthur and George I read for my 'earthly bookclub' a number of years ago....i found it rather disconcerting but fascinating at the same time. I suppose that is probably a good thing. re-reading that, it does rather whiff of damning with faint praise but I will leave it stand