Amy's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Dec 31, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008
Recommended to Amy by: Kristi
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This was a fun book. It's told from the perspective of Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (from the Bible). After 2000 years, God decides it's time for a new Gospel - so he sends an angel to resurrect Levi, otherwise known as Biff, Christ's childhood friend.
The angel takes him to a modern hotel, and keeps him on a short leash until the writing is complete. Most of the 'historical' chapters are preceded by an update on events in the hotel - the Angel becomes increasingly hooked on soap operas and wrestling, Biff is sneaking peaks at the Bible to see how the story evolved through time. At least initially, readers are not sure if Biff knows how the story turns out.
Biff relates the story of Joshua's (his name for Jesus) and his travels prior to the events told in the Bible. Shortly after coming of age (around 14 for them) they went on a mission to find the three wise men so Joshua could learn how to be a savior.

The book is very well written. Biblical scholars might find things to quibble about, but I thought the 'true' historical events were mixed in very well with the story.

My cousin Kristi recommended this book after my review of Good Omens, and I have been lucky enough to read both this year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristi I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was very funny -- and thought-provoking!