Chris's Reviews > The Emerald Atlas

The Emerald Atlas by John  Stephens

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, guys-read, j, not-graphic

Bravo and well done. I was hooked while I read it and am hooked on the series because it was such a fun, satisfying reading experience. I very rarely make proclamations like this, but I may have to start pushing this on people looking for the next Harry Potter or Percy Jackson or widespread well-known favorite. It has action, substance, magic, style, eloquence, and much more.

I suppose it makes sense I’d refer to Harry Potter so quickly in my review, since one of my first thoughts as I started reading was the book felt very familiar and I worried it might simply be a series of clichés and cloned tropes. That feeling faded rapidly, though, as I was swept away by the story, characters, and storytelling. Just the familiarity of that feeling from reading past favorites remained as I forgot all about other books and was enchanted by this on its own terms. Siblings Kate, Michael, and Emma are all strong, rounded, engaging characters and their adventures are complex, dramatic, fantastical, and tense. An excellent first entry in an epic new tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emerald Atlas.