Helen's Reviews > A Trick of the Light

F_50x66
Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: canadian, fiction, modern-mystery
Read in November, 2011

I can't decide whether these are cosy mysteries or not, they probably are. Clara has wanted a solo art show for years and now she has one, but her husband has to work hard to enjoy it because it lifts her out of his level forever. He is 'an excellent draftsman' and his pictures are selling well but Clara's will be in museums and collections all over the world. This is the only part that confused me because they keep quoting reviews of her work and even if she had shared a show she would still have been shown and the feeling within the plot is that no one cared enough about her art to show it at all. The descriptions of the people at the openings are bang on, as I can testify from the ones I've been at and the attitudes I've adopted so as not to look an ignorant slob. We are getting so very close to these characters that they have become our distant neighbours and things from previous events still haunt the people of Three Pines, as they would in real life.
Apparently Louise Penny and Kathy Reich were interviewed together and the interviewer just sat back & let them go to it. The funny thing is that Reich is now fairly fluently bilingual because she does do consulting work with the Quebec Surete while Penny is not and gets it in the neck from French readers sometimes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trick of the Light.