Michelle Galo's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Oct 22, 08

bookshelves: religion-spirituality, society, wish-list
Recommended to Michelle by: I first heard of Sam Harris on NPR's Word for Word.
Recommended for: Christians, Atheists
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

Just about everything Harris says in this book, he also says in various articles, speeches, and debates available on his website; so if you're familiar with any of Harris's work beside his books, you'll likely recognize material in this book.

None of that makes this book any less valuable.

It's an easy read, just over one hundred pages and written in clear, concise, extremely readable prose. Anyone daunted by the size of Harris's first book, The End of Faith, might want to consider picking up this one first.

Letter to a Christian Nation is Harris's pointed argument that religious faith is unnecessary and dangerous. Some believers will complain that the religious faith he attacks is not what their faith really is; keep reading. Harris does not ignore the presence of liberal and moderate Christians, and he addresses them as well.

The book is short, I think necessarily so; most of its points would benefit from elaboration and further examples, but this would make the book longer than The End of Faith, and reduce its audience as well as its clarity.

At the time of reading this book, I am already an atheist, so I can't speak to its efficacy to convert readers; however, as a former Christian, I do recommend this book to Christians. It may not change your mind, but it will give you a clear set of points to consider. Whatever your beliefs, you owe it to yourself to know the arguments against them. In that spirit, I am interested in reading any counterarguments that readers may recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.