Jamie's Reviews > A Thousand Words for Stranger

A Thousand Words for Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda

Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

This was kind of a random pick up. Read the synopsis on a website somewhere and thought it sounded interesting. The setting took me a little to get used to, but the author handled the introduction of the world with a lack of explanation that I felt might mean additional titles in a series? But, seeing the world, primarily, through the eyes of someone without a memory makes the transition much easier than if all of the characters were accustomed to the world paired with a minimal exploration into the minutia of each species and their customs involved.

I enjoyed the power play between the "human" race and the Clan, since they were the biggest players. While each side seems to regard the other as a separate people, the Clan certainly takes the more aggressive and separatist stance toward the other. A sense of superiority the prime concern and driving motivation for the division.

Overall, an interesting "universe" setting and a number of characters who draw you into the story and the power plays going on. I'll have to look and see what else this author has done or if there is a series here. It was ended in an open ended manner so it could go either way.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Words for Stranger.