Melanie's Reviews > The Pursuit of Alice Thrift

The Pursuit of Alice Thrift by Elinor Lipman

Jun 17, 2008

Read in June, 2008

I absolutely adored this book: it's witty, funny (my roommate found it funny the number of times I laughed while reading it), and an all-around feel good tale of Alice Thrift's growing pains as a newly minted surgical resident without much in the way of a social life. As is to be expected, it was rather predictable, but the predictability didn't detract from my good-natured amusement one bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Alice Thrift.

11/07/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Glad you enjoyed it so much and that it brought some good humor to the other stresses of settling into DC. I'll add it to my "to read" list! :->

Melanie Oh, do try it - don't let the fact that the main character is a surgeon put you off (I seem to recall that you don't like medical dramas :); her occupation merely sets the stage for the book. Let me know what you think when you get around to it!

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Thanks very much for the recommendation and also the insight that we won't be hearing too much about Alice's professional pursuits. (Yes, I'm not keen on hearing about medical stuff!) I'll definitely watch for this.