Melissa Jones's Reviews > Witchful Thinking

Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory

Dec 15, 2011

Read in January, 2012

Witchful Thinking (Book 3, Jolie Wilkins series) by H.P. Mallory
Advanced Reader Edition I won in a contest on her facebook page.

Book Description : Back Cover

Jolie thinks she's seen it all, but life continues to spring surprises. The latest shocker? She's just been crowned Queen of the Underworld, charged with governing many factions of supernatural creatures. But she can barely keep her own chaotic personal life from heading into a romantic tailspin. First there's sexy warlock Rand, the love of her life, from whom Jolie is hiding a devastating secret. Then there's Sinjin, a seductive vampire and Jolie's sworn protector—though others, suspect he harbors ulterior motives. As the two men vie for her affection, jolie decides it's time to take charge—and show everyone that this queen won't take jack.

My Description:

The Story starts up where book 2 left off. Jolie is being told that she is now the Queen of the Underworld, and will have to be trained as such. This information totally throws a wrench into her love life with Rand, because he hates anything to do with a monarchy. He believes in the democratic way and believes everyone in the Underworld should have a say & choice in all things political. Jolie actually feels the same way, and see's this as their chance to change things, but Rand wont even speak to her.
Soon it seems her life has been completely taken over by Mercedes and her prediction. Between the Queenly lessons and her new bodyguard's, in which one of them happens to be Sinjin. Her life is now not her own. The one that makes it most difficult is Sinjin with his steamy come on's and dark, sexy, mysterious ways. She can't seem to get a moments piece with her Rand. To make matters worse, she is expected to take a King and every supernatural male being worth a grain of salt is now proposing on bended knee. Whats a Queen to do?
Dark things start happening, Secret meetings are taking place, and Jolie starts to question everything and everybody around her. What's going on? Who can I trust? And the worst of all, she is on her own. Will they Choose a King for her? Is someone trying to kill her? Will anyone come to her rescue? How much more trouble can a witch get into? You'll have to read it to find out :D

My Thoughts:
This is the third installment in the Jolie Wilkin's series and is 312 pages long. It has a few sex/sexy scenes so it is definitely not for YA reader's. I give it 3 out of 5 for the steam factor. If you are a follower of this series you will find that it repeats a lot of stuff that has already happened in the first 2 books. It has been written as a stand alone novel unlike the others. This is so that new readers will be able to follow along. I found it easy to just skim passed these parts and to quickly resume the story. Please keep in mind that this is H.P's first debut in a printed novel, instead of just ebooks. As a HUGE fan of this author's, I am very proud of her. This book does not disappoint in any way. If you haven't read the other 2 previous novels in this series, I really recommend them, But it is not necessary to enjoy this novel.
I found myself inside the story. I felt everything she felt. The confusion, longing for Rand, The attraction to Sinjin. Her world turning upside down with no control over it. Jolie is a well written lead character. She is funny, smart and she sometimes questions herself and her abilities, then finds that inner strength to somehow get it together. I love the chemistry between her and Rand. I get so mad at Rand at times that I find myself screaming at my kindle...lol Then on the other hand the Chemistry between Jolie and Sinjin can burn a page up. Sinjin's Dark side is a wonderful addition in this paranormal read because it honestly keeps you guessing whether or not he is truly in love with jolie or is it something more sinister. And I have to say that H.P. Mallory ends this novel with me crying out “NO, NO, NO She wouldn't....Oh what has she done” Leaving me wanting, No....NEEDING MORE. Dang you H.P and your cliffhangers. If you are a fan of PNR as much as I am, then this is a must read.

Recommendation : I DEFINITELY Recommend !!! I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchful Thinking.