michelle's Reviews > Explosive Eighteen

Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich

Feb 08, 12

Read from February 07 to 08, 2012

Well, that was incredibly disappointing.

I get that when reading this kind of series it is going to be repetitive. It's a comfort thing - formula is good because you know what you're going to get.

Yet after 22 books (18 novels, 4 novellas), you expect /some/ character development. But it was just the same old thing.

Like many others, I want Stephanie to just choose a guy already or just accept that she is a two guy girl. The latter is unlikely because of the underlying prudishness of her character, but the indecision is getting damn annoying.

Also, I'm probably in the minority when I say she should choose Ranger. Between him and Morelli, he's the better choice because at least he doesn't treat her like as much of a child as Joe.

Which brings me to the infantilisation. FFS, she is a grown woman, she doesn't need to be treated like a child, even though she behaves like one much of the time.

Gah. I could rant for ages but it won't make any difference. I will be selling my Stephanie Plum collection at a cheap price and will only get the books out of the library in the future.

One final thing, sleeping naked does not a whore make.

Edited to add:

Just read some of the other reviews on here. Disappointed in the slut shaming, but not surprised.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explosive Eighteen.

02/07/2012 page 121
40.0% "I don't know if I'm not in the right frame of mind to be reading this, but this latest book in the series is annoying the hell out of me."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

James It's not that Stephanie is being slut shamed, it's that she previously talked about how she wouldn't act like this and put down Joyce for similar behavior. She is exhibiting behavior in the most recent books that she herself had previously defined as sluttish.