Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Chasing Magic

Chasing Magic by Stacia Kane

5112089
She's done it again! How does she keep doing this to me? Just when I think Stacia Kane has sent me on every possible emotional roller coaster imaginable, there she is again with ride tickets clutched in her hand and a wicked gleam in her eye.

I am somewhat conflicted about certain elements of this book. As flawed as Chess is, and Lord knows she's one of the most, if not the most, flawed Urban Fantasy characters out there, I've still always respected her. Even as hard as that is to do sometimes with the way she's constantly telling you what a shitty person she is. I was always able to see through that and admire her strength anyway.

In this book she did something I didn't like. I'm not going to say what it was, not even a hint, save to say I actually had to put the book down and didn't pick it up again for 4 days. I still haven't decided if I'm mad, sad, disappointed or what, but I had to take a break to put my thoughts in order.

Aside from that, though, it was business as usual. Except these days Chess' business comes with lots more Terrible! I loved the amount of time they were able to spend together in this book. They're relationship is very intense and they have a lot of issues, but they're also a pretty freaking great team and they worked together on the crime/case like they've been doing it for years. Chess is the investigator, Terrible is the muscle, and it just works perfectly.

They also made some more progress as a couple. Although with Chess it's likely always going to be one step forward for every two steps back, I ended the book feeling more confident in Chess for the future. There are no major changes happening yet, but maybe in the next one....

“I ain't...Don't know how to say it up right. Never--Fuck, Chess. Thought you was dead once before, you recall? Never felt so bad in my life, not ever. Then on the other day, thought you was gone and just....I can't do it, bein without you.”

All in all, another fantastic book, despite my hiccup. And, hey, it's only a testament to how involved with these characters I am that it was able to affect me so much.

Outstanding job, Ms Kane. Next one please!

4 Stars! ★★★★ ♥
Review Copy: Received from the publisher for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Magic.

Quotes Lynsey Liked

Stacia Kane
“How I can do that one, aye? Leave my Chessiebomb there without me.”

Stacia Kane
“Love you, Chessie,” he murmured. “Ain’t never … Fuckin love you, more’n anything.”

06/14/2012 page 112
27.0% "Oops. Busted!"
06/17/2012 page 200
48.0% "Chess, you muppet!"
06/21/2012 page 200
48.0% "I've been stalled on this for about 4 days now. Must get back to it before I forget everything that happened in the first half."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Yodamom How are you liking it ?

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yodamom wrote: "How are you liking it ?"

I'm only 30 pages in. Liking it so far. Let's hope for loads and loads of Terrible time:)

message 4: by Yodamom (last edited Jun 23, 2012 11:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yodamom I am wondering which moment had you stall. There were so many.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yodamom wrote: "I am wondering which moment had you stall. There were so many."

(view spoiler)

Yodamom Yes, that was awful. I was seriously sick to my stomach,(view spoiler)
One of the most emotional ripping books I've ever read.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ im not reading the spoilers but YAY!! for emotional ripping!!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian You're going to love it Sharon:)

Yodamom (view spoiler)

Yodamom @Lynsey(view spoiler)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Yodamom wrote: "@Lynsey[spoilers removed]"

True, and Stacia likes to stay true to the original dark, gritty feel of the series, so it wouldn't surprise me if she did something as shocking as that. Still, I have hope.