Lynsey • The Demon Librarian's Reviews > Ever After

Ever After by Kim Harrison

5112089
This book was Shamazeballs!

Find more reviews like this one at The Demon Librarian.

Kim Harrison is the reigning Queen of Urban Fantasy!

One of the most highly anticipated reads of 2013 for many people, Ever After by Kim Harrison most certainly will not fall short of expectations. It will, in many areas, surpass them. It will also shock, it will thrill, and my goodness it will entertain. An outstanding instalment, easily replacing any and all past favourites as the new pinnacle of the series...so far.

As is usually the case, the story picks up a couple of months after the events of the last book, A Perfect Blood, and sees Rachel meeting up with Quen to discuss the prospect of becoming a part of Trent's workforce once again. Only voluntarily this time, and will no bodily threats involved. Which makes a nice change. Rachel's not too sure, though, and perhaps not for the reasons you might expect. It seems she puts more faith in Trent's abilities to protect himself than Quen does these days, and doesn't think he needs anyone else watching him. Quite the opposite, in fact. However, after a drastic and heartbreaking turn of events, the choice about working alongside Trent is taken out of her hands completely. It's now imperative, especially since she feels partly responsible for what's happened.

Fans of the series will recall Rachel's unfortunate experience with a ley line back in book nine, Pale Demon. For me, personally, those last few chapters of Pale Demon were where my appreciation of Kim Harrison's worldbuilding went from thinking she was simply fabulous, to thinking she might actually be some kind of supernatural creature herself. I mean, she must have been to the Ever After in person to be able to describe it so vividly. And not just visual descriptions, either, but the magic, the culture, the social structure, the history, the wars, the continual decline of the demons as a race. Which, incidentally, Rachel has managed to speed up exponentially by ripping a large hole in one of the ley lines. If only the demons thought it was so incidental. Strangely, they're rather annoyed about their impending doom, and in this book they use one hell of a bargaining chip to make sure Rachel fixes her mistake, and fast. The clock is most definitely ticking.

I'm reticent to highlight too many other plot points as I think it's best to just experience it as it unfolds. And it was a real roller coaster, that's for sure. Totally unputdownable with near-perfect pacing. There are some big shocks in store, as I mentioned earlier, some controversial returning characters, plenty of conflict—both internal and external—and a fair amount of introspection for our dear Rache, as well. There were a couple of instances where the plot moved a bit slower, but out of a 500-and-then-some page book, that's really not bad at all. Perhaps even a necessity. Overall, this instalment felt really meaty, with little filler and lots of massive plot twists and character progression that really change the game entirely for the last two books. And of course, being titled Ever After, you can expect to bask in yet more of Harrison's phenomenal worldbuilding for that setting, and also, get some fantastic insight into everyone's favourite demon, Algaliarept. Outstanding stuff!

For the Rachel and Trent shippers out there (much like myself) you'll be pleased with the amount of time spent together in this book. Gone are the days where Trent would make one, maybe two, brief appearances—usually managing to annoy the crap out of Rachel in the process—but it's clear now that, in whatever role, Trent is a part of Rachel's life. They make strange bedfellows in some respects, but in other's, they couldn't be more compatible. What's lovely to see as well is the developing trust between them; something we couldn't have ever imagined coming from Rachel even as little as three books ago. It's an amazing transformation and a fantastic journey Kim Harrison has taken us on. I'm sad to think there's just two teeny weeny little books left in this series, but judging by the ending of this book, they're gonna be good ones! Oh, yeah.

5 Stars ★★★★★
A special thanks to Harper Voyager for the ARC. I read many ARCs throughout the year, but to receive one for your favourite series is a special treat. Like Christmas come early!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever After.

01/23/2013
10.0% "Re-read on audio. This book = best Hollows book ever." 1 comment
05/29/2016 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Negine I know right!? I'm ridiculously excited for this installment as well :)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Negine wrote: "I know right!? I'm ridiculously excited for this installment as well :)"

It can't come soon enough. I was just saying in another group that if I don't get at least one kiss in this book, my head will explode. But if it does happen, you'll hear my SQUEEEEE!!!! in outer-space. :)

Negine SQUEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm not gonna lie, I'm completely green with envy ;) January 22nd can't come soon enough!

Sherry (bogiewine) whoop whoop... 5 stars! You've just made me so happy *wiping away tear* Whyyyyyyyy is January so far awaaayy?! (it's not pathetic at all for a grown woman to be whining is it?)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian @Negine I know, sorry! I was almost afraid to admit I'd read it in case you all stop speaking to me;)

@Sherry. Not at all. I totally understand:)

Roxanne You are so lucky to have read this. I am so jealous! I can't wait to read it.

David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party" "Shamazeballs"?!? That could be the greatest invented word I've heard since The Simpsons gave us "embiggens"! :D

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian LOL I'm liking it, too. I keep trying to slip it in to conversations as stealthily as possible :)

Veronica Great review! "Unputdownable" is totally in my lexicon from now on. It's shamazing! ;)

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian LOL, well when there isn't quite the word you're looking for in the dictionary, I say just make one up! Works for me, anyway :)

Talin I can't wait, I'm so jealous.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian I know - I'm a lucky girl:)

VampireNovelFan Awesome review! As you know I couldn't agree more.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Thanks VNF! ;)

Klint Perfect review!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Thank you, Ana:) Best book ever, that's why!

Kimberlee Holinka How do you become an advanced reader? I have been trying to figure out how to become one for years. Any help would be welcome. I and I loved your review of Ever After you were spotted on! Just finished it and when it was over I was wishing there were more pages.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian I have a blog, and once that was up and running for a while I started approaching publishers and requesting titles. I nearly exploded with happiness when I got approved for this one though! :)

message 20: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Jan 26, 2013 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampireNovelFan Yeah, HC likes established bloggers. So you need to read and review a LOT of books in between and gain followers. It's a part-time job for me honestly. I sort of wonder how much my reading will change when The Hollows ends. Just about everything I read in UF is just a warm up for the next Hollows book lol.

Sharon ∞❥ is an angst book junkie ❥∞ great review Geekius...it was sooo good! idk how u sat on that for sooo long...LOL!

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Tell me about it!!!