Hallie's Reviews > A Confusion of Princes

A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: 48-hour-book-challenge, audiobook, ya, sf
Read from June 09 to 22, 2012

Never, never never NEVER, forget to save your review before switching the edition. I barely had the energy to write it the first time, let alone trying to do it after losing it all! So, bullet-points.

Audiobook - good narration, may not be the best format, as the jargon sounds a bit silly, while I suspect it would read fine.

Khemri, nicely done. Arrogant, entitled Prince, who slowly learns first a bit of realism about his super-specialness, and then, more slowly, humanity.

World is interesting, but didn't totally convince me, as it seemed to have a lot of profligacy about its expenditure of resources of all kinds. And there were definite fantasy elements at times, which, while very cool in themselves, did take away from the science aspect of this science fictional story.

The ending was lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confusion of Princes.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest Following reviews of this with interest. I read Rachel Manija Brown's on LJ, and one other person I read here on Goodreads also reviewed it. I may have to take a look.

Hallie Asakiyume wrote: "Following reviews of this with interest. I read Rachel Manija Brown's on LJ, and one other person I read here on Goodreads also reviewed it. I may have to take a look."

Thanks for mentioning that - I just went and had a look! I'd definitely say she was more enthusiastic than I was, despite my 4 star rating. It kind of felt more as if there was four stars' worth of good stuff there than that I was engaged four stars' worth. (If that makes any sense!) But ratings are so HARD. Last night I finished Hallowed, the second of Cynthia Hand's - wait for it - paranormal angel books. I'm going to give that 4 stars as well, but I have all the feelings about it - all of them! The emotions! The ponderings about how we find out why we're here and what we do if we have to change that and how she nailed some of that confusion and struggle! The desire to discuss it! And I read it in one day which I never do anymore (48 Hour Challenge aside), and am really kind of angry about the bits of plot I don't like and wondering if the last book will make it okay or ruin everything! But that's the same number of stars as this book, which I felt - eh, it was good. You know?

message 3: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest I **do** know what you mean! I guess the review is what lets us add nuance, but even with the review, we don't always have the chance to say all we want to convey our feelings.