Care's Reviews > The City & the City

liked it
bookshelves: must-get-to-authors, read-along
Read from June 15 to 23, 2012

Ready for Summer in the City and the City - readalong begins 6/15/12

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City & the City.

06/15/2012 page 4
1.0% "What are laddered stockings?"
06/15/2012 page 12
4.0% "Polysemic Crazy last 2 paragraphs."
06/16/2012 page 24
8.0% "Challenging world building. Vocab, too: machicolation, encomia(p14)."
06/16/2012 page 36
12.0% ""It was, not surprisingly that day perhaps, hard to observe borders, to see and unsee only what I should, on my way home."
06/18/2012 page 77
25.0% "Have the nous to understand"
06/18/2012 page 91
29.0% "Amphora"
06/20/2012 page 157
50.0% "Two chapters in on Part 2, at the stopping point for halfway, per our readalong... by July 1 but I might end up finishing very soon."
06/23/2012 page 311
100.0% ""Volunteering's an early and strong indication that you're not suited.""
show 1 hidden update…

Ruthiella I want to read this too. Or the Kraken. I am admiring your forays into SciFi from afar. I too want to read all the seminal stuff, like Neuromancer and Snow Crash etc.

Care I just know that I want to try something by this author. Don't even know which book would be best to start first. I can't remember what pushed me to try Snow Crash but it took me 3+ years to finally get to Neuromancer.

Ruthiella I have heard that The City & the City is a good one to start with. Send me a message when you are going to start it and I will try to read it with you. Even if it is 3 years from now!

Care Deal.

Ruthiella OMG. This will be the 3rd book for on line book groups in June. I am feeling the pressure,but am IN! Did you read Eva's sparkling review at A Striped Armchair? I wanted to go check it out after reading it, she made it sound so fabulous.

Ruthiella Oh, nevermind! Just checked your blog and I see you were infected by Eva too :)

Care Yes!! I bought my copy today. What else are you reading this June?

Ruthiella Well, I am not exactly sure what I will be reading…whatever the Cornflower Book Group selection is for that month and then two books for The Readers Summer Book Club 2012. The Readers listed 8 books to be read over the summer beginning in May, so 2 books a month. If I guess right, the June selections will be Packing for Mars by Mary Roach and Now You See Me by S. J. Bolton. I will probably start reading some early anyway. Fun!

Kristi I'm in. Just reserved a copy at my library.

message 10: by Care (new) - rated it 3 stars

Care Kristi! COOL.

Kristi Wow! You're really moving along. How are you liking it. I'm not too far in and don't really have a good feel for it yet.

Ruthiella "Laddered stockings" is what the Brits say instead of "runs in your pantyhose".

Are you fully at home now in the city and the city? It is so disorienting at first!

message 13: by Care (new) - rated it 3 stars

Care Thanks Ruthiella! I am glad I asked.

The book ALMOST had me wanting it to reread it again so I could see how it unfolded with more knowledge of the happenings/setting. But no. (I'm not much of a rereader)

Ruthiella Yeah, I also felt like re-reading as well once I had finished (but I didn’t either). I began the book with a preconceived notion that Miéville was a SF writer, so at first I believed the crosshatching to be some sort of force field or something technological, you know? Once I “got” it, I practiced “unseeing” certain houses or streets as I walked my dogs. It is really hard!