JC's Reviews > The Journeys of Socrates: An Adventure

Jul 05, 08

Recommended to JC by: William Parkinson / the Universe
Recommended for: My students
Read in July, 2008

Just when I didn't think Millman could surpass his first book, The Way of the Peaceful Warrior, the book that truly changed my life and outlook on the universe. This book tells the journey of his enigmatic mentor, Socrates; from his humble and tragic beginnings to his enlightened training. How was this amazing master formed? The book is based in the Ukraine region of Russia, with Sergei "Socrates" Ivanov being cast as a half Cossack/half Jew (quite the explosive combination, as you can imagine), struggling to understand himself and his place in life. Only through great personal tragedy, loss and the need for revenge does he begin to understand the path he was set upon. Only in seeking out his great teacher, a monk called Seraphim, does he discover both the path of the warrior and the path of peace. It's a beautiful and heart-felt story that is filled with Millman's great wisdoms and insights into life. However, even though Millman has put "The first book in the Peaceful Warrior series" on the cover, I recommend reading "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" and possibly "Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warror" before "The Journeys of Socrates."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journeys of Socrates.