Cosmic Tree's Reviews > The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess

The Spiral Dance by Starhawk

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites, paganism, social-justice

I borrowed a 1970s copy of this book from a friend. It belonged to his mother - complete with notes in the margins. I absolutely loved this book. Yes, it is in part a product of its time - describing the God as "rape fighter," heavily peppered with social justice statements, heavily feminist oriented. I would be very excited to read the 20th anniversary edition in which the author comments on how things have changed since then. I also know the 'history' presented here is a little romanticized, but that being said.

This is the religion I wish to follow (almost :) Some of the rituals suggested are a bit theatrical for me, and I do not think I would ever want to be naked in front of coven members, and I disagree when she says magick is best worked with a group. However, the basic outline she provides here is fabulous and empowering. The mythology to follow, the way to view the self and emotions, how your every day life is magickal and how YOU are the divine.

I especially love, in the last chapter, her view of science and religion. As a scientist by career, I greatly resonate with her feeling that science IS religion and religion IS science - when you view the entire world as mystical and powerful, and you view the very processes taking place as holy, there is no fight.

I would say this book is a must-read for anyone interested in Paganism. It is not a must-follow - most definitely not - however, I think it offers great insight that anyone would benefit from reading.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spiral Dance.