Angela's Reviews > The Long Way Home

The Long Way Home by Margot Benary-Isbert

Jun 18, 2008

bookshelves: adoption, fiction, childrens-lit, world-war-i-ii, california, wishlist
Read in June, 2008

This book was a real eye-opener to me. It is offers both praise and wonder at our "land of liberty," as seen through the eyes of Christoph, a young refugee from East Germany in the early 1950s.

At times he is horrified by the waste and carelessness of Americans, but he also admires the hard work and "pioneer spirit" of ranch cowboys, children in 4H, and especially American housewives (who do their own cooking and cleaning, as opposed to his experiences in Germany, where such things were done by a maid or serving woman). He finds himself both impressed and dismayed by the huge cities full of sky-scrapers that he encounters here, then discovers a place that truly feels like home on the gorgeous California coast.

Reading this book, and realizing it is a reflection of the author's experiences immigrating from Germany to the United States, I felt profoundly grateful for the freedoms that we have and for the abundance we enjoy in this country.

Though not actually a sequel to Benary-Isbert's "The Ark" and "Rowan Farm," Christoph does cross paths with some of the Lechow children a couple of years after "Rowan Farm" would have taken place.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Way Home.