Becky Soledad's Reviews > Wherever You Go

Jan 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: net-galley, young-adult, realistic-fiction, 112-in-2012
Read from December 15, 2011 to January 03, 2012

This one is teetering between three and four stars for me. I really loved the most of the characters and felt they were well developed but the three changing points of view were a little difficult to follow at first and we are bordering on melodrama.

Holly is struggling to come to terms with the death of her boyfriend, Rob, in a tragic car accident. While she is dealing with this she is also taking care of her little sister and her grandfather who is rapidly deteriorating with Alzheimer's. Jason was Rob's best friend and is trying to get to know Holly better because he feels bad about the way she was treated after Rob died. Rob, well Rob is just dead, but not entirely he finds himself hanging out around the people he left behind.

I'll start with my problems because their are fewer of them. Holly's story is told in the first person, Jason's in the third, and Rob's in the second. I liked the three points of view in the story but the changing narratives was disconcerting for me, especially Rob. I felt it was often jarring as I switched from character to character. In fact it almost made me put the book down but I'm really glad I didn't. The second thing that I had trouble with was the amount of drama in Holly's life. The poor girl couldn't seem to catch a break. Her boyfriend died, her grandfather is sick, her mother is distant at best, her boyfriends best friend loves her, her boyfriends other best friend hates her and tries to ruin her life. It's just one thing after another.

I did love the characters. Holly is loyal and loving to her entire family, even her mother who isn't always the most supportive. Her mother is trying the best she knows how. While she is not always the most redeeming character she certainly is realistic.

Most of my memories of my great grandmother of her long after Alzheimer's had taken hold but there are some where I remember the amazing and fun woman. I am always very sensitive to stories that contain Alzheimer's because of this. (Mostly they make me cry) People sometimes feel that Alzheimer's is harder for the people on the outside, the ones left behind. Allowing Aldo to communicate with Rob reminded me that it's hard from the inside too. It was heartbreaking to see Aldo's frustration as he slowly slipped away from his family. I was a little bit in love with Aldo being the only one who could see Rob. It made me feel like while certain parts of his brain were shutting down others were awakening.

Overall a good book. One f-bomb will keep me from putting it in my library but it would fit well into a high school library. I would recommend it to 8th graders but not have it in the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wherever You Go.

12/15/2011 page 14