May's Reviews > Infinite Kung Fu

Infinite Kung Fu by Kagan McLeod

Dec 15, 2011

bookshelves: asian-fantasy, graphic-novels, read-2011
Read from December 14 to 16, 2011

So here's the deal, if one or all of the following statements apply to you, you should NOT read this graphic novel:

* you hate martial arts/kung fu movies, especially from the 1970s

* you have no idea what the terms "Shaolin", "Wuxia" and "Wushu" are and quite frankly, you don't care

* you are confused about the connection between "blaxploitation" and martial arts films (trust me, if you don't understand the connection, you will be even more confused by the character of Moog Joogular!)

* you loved Seth Grahame-Smith's graphic novel "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and wished that more graphic novels were mash-ups of classic Austen works

* you don't like fantasy, especially Asian epic-fantasy with complex characters, confusing narrative and a lot of senseless violence mixed with slight touches of humour and romance

Okay, now that I have weeded out the wannabes, those that have remained should check out this terrific graphic novel!

McLeod's book is a homage to martial arts films that some of us grew up watching and continue to seek out. Right from the beginning of this book, I was not disappointed. McLeod's storytelling is simply amazing. Rather than set the story in the ancient past, the story is set in current time where mankind has suffered a huge catastrophe and society has regressed back to a state where the "sword" and superstition rules. The plot centers around Yang Lei Kung, a former soldier, who is a student to the immortal Chung Li Ch'uan. Similar to many fantasy-epics, Lei Kung endures a number of trials to prove himself worthy of becoming a "Master of Martial Arts" in order to get closer to the Emperor and destroy his plans' of conquering the world. Along the way, Lei Kung meets other students of the other immortals, such as Moog and Windy, and must decide who is friend and who is a foe. Adding to the tension is the hordes of zombies which often serve as the cannon fodder for many of the action sequences.

On an emotional level, this story has it all: anger, betrayal, jealousy, fear, loyalty, obedience, defiance, obsession, hatred, friendship, mercy, and love. Yes, this story got a little confusing at times as new characters were introduced and their names started to look alike but it didn't take a long to get the reader back on track especially if you flip to the very helpful guide in the beginning that introduced the 8 immortals and named each of their student.

Overall, a must-read for martial-arts and Asian fantasy fans alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinite Kung Fu.

message 1: by Trudi (new)

Trudi May this is a great review. While I loved the Kill Bill movies, I don't think I'm enough of a purist to appreciate this one!

message 2: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May My "little grasshopper", with viewing of some per-requisite movies, only then will you acquire the "wisdom" needed to read this book. Let me know when you will like to begin your training. ;)

message 3: by Trudi (new)

Trudi That sounds like too much work. I take more of a Dean Winchester approach to these things -- Chuck Norris all the way! :)