*TheWrittenWord*Mo's Reviews > Touch of Power

liked it
bookshelves: ze-fantasy, magic, trilogies, 2013, 2014
Read from January 19, 2013 to September 22, 2014

*** 2014 UPDATE ***
So now that I got a copy of Touch of Darkness in my hands I decided to re-read the other two books to remember the story. And a second time round this book is still a fabulous read and oh so emotional.

---

I liked it.

Though Avry got on my nerves sometimes and Kerrick was just so NOT nice for the majority of the book. Belen (Poppa Bear) was my absolute favourite though :D

I liked the storyline of the book, Avry isn't just another girl, she has a mind of her own and doesn't follow orders, to Kerrick annoyance, but then again she has an amazing heart and endurance when it comes to healing and I admire that in her.

I also really like the idea of different magicians and healers and the basic background story in the novel. The plague is really upsetting, it's just made the people to hard and angry at the the healers which just isn't fair as they where only trying to help :(

I do recommend this book, as I recomment all of Maria V. Snyder's books :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

Quotes *TheWrittenWord*Mo Liked

Maria V. Snyder
“When we reached the door, Belen stepped in the way. 'If any harm—'
'Comes to her, you’ll rip out my arms. Got it,' Kerrick said.
'I’m serious,' Belen said.
'I know. Do you really think I’d put her in danger?'
'Not on purpose, but things happen that are out of your control.'
Kerrick gave him a tight smile. 'You mean I'm not omnipotent?'
'You're not even semi-potent.'
'Is that even a word?' Kerrick asked.
'He probably means you're impotent,' I offered.”

Maria V. Snyder
“Sorry. An overdeveloped nurturing instinct comes with being a healer.”

Maria V. Snyder
“No," I said. "I'm not safe, Belen. Who is going to tear Kerrick's arm off if he hits me again? Come on," I urged. "Stay with us".”

Maria V. Snyder
“The heart is a strange beast and not ruled by logic.”

Maria V. Snyder
“So who gave him his name?" I asked.

"Kerrick," Belen answered.

Not who I'd expect. "Why 'Flea'?"

A full-out grin spread across Flea's face. "Cause I'm fast and hard to catch."

"Because he's a pest and hard to squash," Belen said.

"Because he jumps about three feet in the air when you scare him," Loren added.

"Because he's annoying and makes us itch with impatience," Quain said.

"Thanks, guys. I love you too." Flea made exaggerated kissing noises and patted his ass.”

Maria V. Snyder
“Flea stared at us, "I can't decide what's worse. Losing family members or not having a family member to lose.”

Maria V. Snyder
“Oh, you made an impression. Like a stone caught in my boot.”
tags: love

Maria V. Snyder
“I remembered my little brother, Allyn, had appeared so innocent and angelic when he slept--similar to Kerrick. It must be a survival tactic. If Allyn hadn't looked so sweet, we would have killed him while he slept. He had been pure evil when he was awake--similar to Kerrick.”

Maria V. Snyder
“I found a few springs of rosemary and returned. Ignoring the collective sigh when I appeared, I stripped off the leaves and handed them to Loren.
He sniffed them in suspicion. "What's this?"
I guess it would take more than my word for them to trust me, "Rosemary." No glimmer of recognition. "It's to make your stew taste better. Don't you know the basic herbs and spices?"
"No. I took this job in self-defence. Quain burns everything. Belen thinks jerky is all we need to survive. Flea's idea of good meal is something that hasn't been in garbage can first. And Kerrick poisoned us---"
"Not on purpose." Kerrick said. "The meat looked done.”
Maria V. Snyder, Touch of Power

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» I read this book! It was really good. If you read the Study and Glass series, I'm sure you'll find it way better!

*TheWrittenWord*Mo it's better than poison study???:O not likely !

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Believe me! Don't get me wrong...I loved Poison study but my Gawd! This book was awesome. Avry and Kerrick's relationship is hilarious at first and then it gets sweet and then just plain HOT!!! LOL;)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo well then I'll have to start reading it quickly :D

Renée van Daalen I can;t wait to see what you think! I prefer Poison Study, but it's really good!

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Renée wrote: "I can;t wait to see what you think! I prefer Poison Study, but it's really good!"

Really!? You prefer poison study! I think your the first person who's said that! LMAO ;)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo Maida I like Poison Study better too! Yelena, Valek, Ari, Janco, Irys and the poison characters are just more favourable to me than Avry, Belen, Kerrick, Loren, Quain, Flea and the healer characters. :/

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» ⚜TheWrittenWord⚜Mo wrote: "Maida I like Poison Study better too! Yelena, Valek, Ari, Janco, Irys and the poison characters are just more favourable to me than Avry, Belen, Kerrick, Loren, Quain, Flea and the healer character..."

Wow! I loved Poison Study but Touch of Power was amazing. It was a very different idea and I just got into it from the beginning. Hmmmmm.....I just can't figure out why you prefer Study series over this!? :s

*TheWrittenWord*Mo lol Maida Yelena is more my kinda character, though there's more happening story wise in ToP I like the characters in Study more, and for me if the characters are amazing then the story can only add to it. get it?

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Okay! That makes perfect sense! And I love the characters from Study as well. They are fictional but realistic! Although, ToP, I loved the fact that Avry is a girl who has a mind of her own. She doesn't take other people's shit, especially not Kerrick's! LOL ;)

*TheWrittenWord*Mo yeah that's definitely true Avry takes no sh** from Kerrick hahaha :P

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» LOL ;) I can't wait for the next book in the series. I want to see what happens with Avery and Kerrick and what the new story is going to be! SOOOO EXCITING! ;p

*TheWrittenWord*Mo lol Maida it JUST came out :P

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» I know, I know, but still! I hate having to wait soooo long. I swear authors should have special "MAIDA" copies of their books just for me! ;) It would keep me happy and I wouldn't go insane either! See, it's a win-win situation! ;p

*TheWrittenWord*Mo but you won't have a finished copy then!! Although the thought of having special copies reserved would be pretty awesome :D win-win situation indeed :P

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Ha! I know right! It would be awesome! LOL ;)