Jen3n's Reviews > The Name of This Book Is Secret

The Name of This Book Is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch

Nov 20, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-book

This book is adorable in a pre-teen, Lemony Snicket sort of manner. While I'm a few decades older than the target audience, I found it almost sweet in it's darkness; it manages to be both ernest and ironic at the same time. I read it because I'm on a YA kick at the moment, and have discovered that, by an large, most of the best work in speculative and fantasy fiction is being written for readers in the seventh grade (or thereabouts.) It's fun to look back and remember how awful and excellent being thirteen was. How dreadfully nasty in a lovely, awesome way. Or maybe that was just me. Well, me and most children in YA fiction. Who knows.

At any rate, I liked it better than the Levin Thumps books but not as well as the first couple of Baudelaire orphan books. I'd recomend it if you have a spare hour and access to it. Or, of course, if you're in the actual demographic for which the book was intended, in which case.... my recommendation doesn't really change. there's better stuff out there but this one is cute and harmless and fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of This Book Is Secret.