T.J. Blackburn's Reviews > Grantville Gazette II

Grantville Gazette II by Eric Flint

Dec 22, 11

Read from August 12 to December 22, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Here is another great outing in the “ground level” anthologies in Eric Flint’s great experiment. The second volume of the Gazette anthologies of the 1632 series, most of the stories in this book occur between late 1632 and early 1634. A fun and quick read although the non-fiction articles can get pretty dry. I particularly like the novella near the end where the Up-timer try to open a teaching hospital in 1633 Germany which make reference to the events of 1633 and creates a lead up for 1634: The Galileo Affair.

It is difficult to try and create a read order for this series since the main books in the saga (163x) branches out into different threads referencing each other and the anthologies. The anthologies often span chunk of the time-line and references the main books. But if I had to place this book in any particular read order I would go with:

Ring of Fire I
Grantville Gazette I
Grantville Gazette II
Grantville Gazette III
1634: The Galileo Affair (Italian Thread)
Grantville Gazette VI
1634: The Ram Rebellion
1634: The Baltic War (Direct 1633 Sequel)
Ring of Fire II
1634: The Bavarian Crisis

As I did with GGI, I book-ended my semester by reading the fiction here and in GGI before school started and finished the non-fiction articles in both books during holiday break.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grantville Gazette II.

12/14/2011 page 404