Liz's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

119592
Jun 18, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 15, 2011 to June 18, 2012

I was skeptical about this book at first, mostly because I either was indifferent or hated most of the characters. But I should trust that Fitzgerald's emotive storytelling would raise some hard issues on the end.

No wonder this story is considered a classic of American lit; though the setting and players might change, the themes and relations are basically timeless. We may think ourselves more advanced but many of the struggles and clashes still go on.

I imagine a lot of people hate Daisy; I mostly feel like she's more of an idea than a person, like Summer in (500) Days of Summer or the billions of other female love interests written by men. That was perhaps the weakest part of this book, which is a shame as I know Fitzgerald was totally capable of writing female characters.

Then again, did we ever really get to know anyone in this book, or rather the effects of each of the characters on each other and the world? It deserves a critical look.

Anyway, this is one of those classics best read on your own time, or in a literature class you actually enjoy. Hopefully those are the conditions you come by this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.