Rachel's Reviews > The Beginning of Infinity: Explanations That Transform the World

The Beginning of Infinity by David Deutsch

Dec 14, 11

Can you give a book a one AND a four? This book has me split. I didn't really like it, but I did make it through and give myself credit for that (although I skipped the sections where he plays like Socrates...weird...how did his editor let that through?). And even though I didn't like it, it made me think in directions I hadn't gone before. That's worth a lot.

The author is prideful and arrogant and really rather strange, But he is good at explaining bizarro physics concepts that are on the surface defy logic and common sense.

I enjoyed reading some of his views. Others really annoyed me.

This is one of those books though that I don't know how much credit to give it because I have so little background here. The author does say that his view is a minority opinion, even among physicists. He doesn't really explain why so many people don't agree with him - just reiterates (fairly convincingly) that the way he is explaining things is the only way it all makes sense.

I stongly felt like I was getting only one side of the story. That if I heard the other side I might be equally convinced (because again, I know nothing here... I'm relying on "experts")

Worth reading. Add salt. Take the good and noodle on the rest. It might make good dinner conversation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beginning of Infinity.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Sowick I thought the Socrates Hermes bit was the best part of the whole book!