Jennifer Peterson's Reviews > A Marriage Carol

A Marriage Carol by Chris Fabry

Dec 14, 11

bookshelves: review-books
Read in December, 2011

I just finished A Marriage Carol by Chris Fabry and Gary Chapman. It was an extremely quick read, but one that pulled me in. It's the story of Marlee and Jacob who are traveling through a snow storm to their attorney's office on Christmas Eve to sign their divorce papers.

It's a bittersweet journey. They were married on Christmas Eve a 20 years ago, and there was a snow storm that night as well. Even though they are on their way to end their marriage, they are both thinking of that night 20 years ago. The reader is able to see into the current state of their marriage, from Marlee's point of view.

They are run off the road by a semi and they land in the snow in the ditch. Marlee can't find Jacob, so she goes for help. Eventually she comes up to a house which is owned by an elderly couple. We are told that his name is Jay and his wife is not well. He invites Marlee in, gets her warm, and lets her talk.

I don't want to give away the ending, but I really enjoyed this story. I think that the play off A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens is a useful plot device. I liked how real the characters seemed. For me, it provides me a tool for when I am feeling frustrated; I can ask myself "What would happen if I make Decision A over Decision B?" or "What would happen if I allow the situation to fester?"

I would definitely recommend this book.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via the NetGalley system. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own.

This originally appeared on my blog: http://jenpeterson.wordpress.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Marriage Carol.