Peter's Reviews > When Bad Things Happen to Good People

M 50x66
Dec 18, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 14 to 17, 2011

In all honesty, this is probably my favorite book of this sort. And when I say this sort, I guess I'm talking about the type of book that tries to make religious sense out of our psychotic, awesome world. And I guess that includes The Bible and The Book of Mormon, as well. That statement will sound heretical to some and actually be so to others, but this book just makes sense, to me. I have never read a religiously based book--albeit I have not read many--that makes logical sense and which provides answers that don't contingently rely on "God works in mysterious ways" and "we will know when we die." This book, at least for me, approached questions from a different, more immediately gratifying angle, suggesting that God is not all powerful and can no more fix all our pain and suffering than change the laws of nature that He created for us in the first place, even if He wanted to. It does not imply that God does not want to help us and miraculously take away our cancers, but rather that he is not allowed at this time. He is there simply to give support and comfort in these times of need. That is what I got from the book, and it is the clearest and most logical theology on the topic that I have heard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Bad Things Happen to Good People.