MsRomanticReads's Reviews > Taken by the Cowboy

Taken by the Cowboy by Julianne MacLean

Feb 14, 12

bookshelves: freebie, contemporary-romance, historical, kindle-freebie, suspense, time-travel, western-cowboys, 2012
Read from February 13 to 14, 2012

My second read from this author and I loved it!

A year after the death of her brother, Jessica is involved in a car accident. When she wakes up, she finds herself in the Wild West of 1881. To complicate matters further, a dead outlaw nearly lands on top of her. She's hailed as Junebug Jess, the lass who brought down Left Hand Lou. Another problem is Dodge City's sexy Sheriff, Truman Wade.

He doesn't trust the stranger, but he's drawn to her in a way he hasn't been drawn to any woman since the death of his wife. He can sense that Jessica is keeping a secret from him, but does it have anything to do with Left Hand Lou? Jessica keeps hoping that she'll find a way back to her own century. In the mean time she gets closer to Truman as well as a few townsfolk. Perhaps this was where she was meant to end up. When her life is threatened by Lou's gang who think she has something that belongs to them, Truman swears to protect her at all costs. When she does find a way to go home, can she leave Truman behind after he's come to mean everything to her?

This was so enjoyable to read, and Truman was swoon worthy! Then again, most sexy cowboys are. He has his demons and self loathing that he slowly faces and overcomes with Jessica's help. I loved the heroine instantly. She had a wonderful sense of humor and when she turned her flirt on, she was downright funny. I expected her to be a scared city girl, waking up in a strange century, but she took everything in stride, and she wasn't easily intimidated by lecherous cowboys.

The chemistry and sexual tension between the hero and heroine was off the charts. They took their time falling for each other so that when it eventually happened, it was wonderfully sweet and believable. The author writes lovely historical romances, and I always feel like I'm right there with the characters. I can picture everything with clarity and the characters always seem to come to life before my eyes.

I was a little lost at the end when it's revealed how she will get home, but I teared up right when she was about to find her happily ever after. It was a little odd, but so sweet. For a free read, this was a gem, and I'm going to purchase the paperback version to add to the other MacLean books I own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taken by the Cowboy.