Shauna Masura's Reviews > Flesh & Blood So Cheap: The Triangle Fire and Its Legacy

Flesh & Blood So Cheap by Albert Marrin

Dec 14, 11

Flesh and Blood So Cheap is marketed as a book about the fire at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in 1911, but in reality, this book brings up issues about so much more. It is the story of immigration-- what makes people want to leave their homelands and what awaits them on the other side of the ocean. It is the story of the growth of America-- what we meant when we said “Give us your tired, your poor/ Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” It is the story of America today-- in which the events of the past are illuminated by our current economic and social issues. Lastly, it is the story of America going forward-- how will we stand up to economic injustice and work towards the betterment of all people. Smart writing and a wealth of excellent photographs are highlights of this important nonfiction work. Flesh and Blood So Cheap is a rather lengthy book (coming in at just under 200 pages), however, when split into chapters, could easily be used as engaging supplementary reading for classrooms from upper elementary through high school. This book is not without its informational biases, as it seeks to present a historical dialogue from the perspective of its victims. Still highly recommended, this resource will engage many different student projects and can help foster important dialogue within a community.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh & Blood So Cheap.