Danielle McClellan's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Dec 19, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2011

This novel is one of the most satisfying reads I have had in a long time. I almost missed it. I had heard nothing about it, and when I picked it up at my tiny Hong Kong bookshop, I sighed as I read the back jacket. Another book about college students? (I had just finished the the new Jeffrey Eugenides and was bored to death with college students.) A book about baseball? (I am not a sports fan.) Thank goodness I read the first few pages and was sold right away by the writing style. This novel is pitch perfect terrific. I won't even say that it is good for a first novel, because like the Tiger's Wife, the fact that it is a first novel is totally irrelevant. These characters are fresh, alive and breathing. The plot is compelling, and I was totally absorbed by the world of the novel. The ending was perfect too. It is a modest, mid-western kind of book that probably won't toot its own horn. I wish I was still a bookseller because this is one I would hand sell to everyone that came in looking for a good read this season.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.