July's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fantasy, urban-fantasy, short-fiction
Read from December 14 to 19, 2011

Kim Harrison's story was really the reason I bought this book. Love, love, loved reading about Rachel Morgan's first meeting with Pierce. The story was really well-written and showed Rachel's character so well. It also gave really good insight into her family, which was very welcome.

I was also pleasantly surprised that the other stories in the collection were very high quality too. Though I hadn't previously read Liu or Sands, I liked their contributions and will likely check out their other work because of it. I have read a couple of the Zodiac books by Petterson and found her story to be a lovely look at a character who is very mysterious in the series. I feel like it really enriched my understanding of the background of the series much like the Harrison story did.

Overall, a highly recommended short story/novella collection for urban fantasy/paranormal romance fans. I don't think it's necessary to have read the authors' other works to enjoy the stories, but if you have, these side notes can add depth.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.