All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Cold Days

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Jan 04, 2013

bookshelves: reviewed-by-kristina

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

Harry lives! Not since Buffy came back from the dead have fantasy fans been this excited to have a beloved character rise from the grave. Leave it to Jim Butcher to find a way to revitalize and reinvent his series so that even after thirteen books and countless short stories, it’s like we’re meeting Harry for the first time. COLD DAYS is a wonderfully refreshing game changer for The Dresden Files series.

So what’s changed for the newly resurrected Harry? He’s not a wizard for hire anymore, he’s the unwilling Winter Knight to Queen Mab of the Unseelie Court. This is more than just a title as Harry is compelled to carry out Mab’s orders and we see him begin to change and take on traits of the persona of the Winter Knight. That’s not to say he’s become a completely new character. Harry still throws out lovely little morsels of pop culture/geeky references throughout the story, and he’s still the snarky, gritty, tough as nails wizard we’ve all come to love. To use a Dungeons & Dragons reference, Harry has leveled up in his powers and abilities since becoming the Winter Knight, and those abilities allow for some fantastic new Winter fueled magic usage in his fights against bigger and badder villains then Harry has faced before.

And Harry isn’t the only character who has changed…some in more shocking ways than others by the end of the book. I loved seeing how everyone turned out during the time Harry was presumed dead and seeing each of their reactions to Harry’s sudden return to the living was very touching. While old friends are featured in COLD DAYS we get introduced to quite a few interesting new characters of whom I am excited to learn more about as this series continues.

Overall, The Dresden Files is one of the defining series in the urban fantasy genre, but Jim Butcher is proving in COLD DAYS that he’s not about to become complacent about that fact. COLD DAYS is an amazing whirlwind of epicness and a reboot for The Dresden Files. It’s hard to imagine what could possibly top the events of the past few books, but the ending this time is nothing short of jaw dropping. Mab herself couldn’t keep me away from the next book in The Dresden Files series when it releases in 2013.

Sexual Content: kissing, references to sex/sexuality
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Days.

05/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth yeah but has he taken up his parenting responsibilities? cause really that is what turned me off to the series in Changes. Never want to read another.