Barbara Skuplik's Reviews > Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

Mar 17, 2012

bookshelves: biography, cooking, food, life, memoir, non-fiction, research, travel, work
Read from March 13 to 17, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garlic and Sapphires.

Barbara Skuplik As an aside, be careful how you type this book into the Goodreads search engine; I typed "Sapphire and Garlic" and it came up with a barrage of romance novels!

This is a fun, easy-to-read book about Ruth Reichl's time as a restaurant critic at the highly venerated NYTimes. I think a lot of people misunderstood the tone of the book (I sensed this from reading the reviews). I don't think she was being snotty or "full of herself" whatsoever. She was trying to make a point--that she had lost herself, who she was as a person, and lost site of what it was she wanted to do in her life; her purpose. I enjoyed reading about the various costumes and disguises she put on in attempts to remain anonymous and receive "normal people" service and experiences.
This book is as much about finding yourself and staying true to yourself as it is about food and restaurant service.