mirela Darau's Reviews > The Late Mattia Pascal

The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: i-have-it-in-english
Read from February 23 to March 06, 2012, read count: 1

It was my first book of Pirandello’s and it raised my curiosity about other ones too :). I enjoyed very much the story, the character study, the telling of the story and the –often philosophical - meditations, the humor: indeed everything!
I liked the idea of the story: a man is constrained and defined in the same time by the society he lives is, the name he wears, and cannot live freely without a past. It made me think of all the new beginnings I often wish for, the memories and experiences I cherish. In other words, it was enjoyable also for the thoughts and reflections it brought to my mind.

Among the sticking-out things I read:
The clothes we wear, their cut and color, can make people have the strangest opinions of us. pg.64 –indeed we are sometimes implicitly defined by our appearance, but for me it’s something I fight against:).

--from the funny passages: The country air would certainly do my wife good. Perhaps some of the trees would lose their leaves at the sight of her, and the birds will fall silent; I only hope that the spring doesn’t go dry. pg.70

--from the reflections: I seemed frighteningly cut off from life, my own survivor, lost now, waiting to live beyond death, but still unable to glimpse the way ahead. pg.77 ---loved the image!

lol!:)“Put it away. I wouldn’t want to frighten it. “
He stared at me and asked: “Frighten what?”
“Why, that little mirror. It’s charming. It must be an antique…”
pg.84

But at a certain point we realize that all life is stupidity; so tell me yourself what it means never to have done anything foolish. At the very least it means you have never lived. pg.105

And yet, I thought, science has the illusion that it is making our existence easier and more comfortable. But even admitting that it’s easier, with all these difficult, complicated machines, I still ask: What worse could they do a man condemned to futile activity than to make it easy and almost mechanical for him? pg.108

Because we can’t understand life, if we don’t explain death in some way. The motive, the direction of our actions, the thread to lead us out of the maze, dear Signor Meis, the light must come from beyond, from death.pg.122 –it seems strange and funny to me now, how Pirandello brought his character exactly in the house of a man concerned with life beyond the visible and more of these things, and how –up to the end- this man is –I may dare say- made fun of..
pg.165 –he’s talking about the darkness we’re surrounded by and the lanterns we have to lighten it, and then he refers to the ‘sense of exile that torments us’ :) --I often had this feeling..

As day is different from night, so perhaps we are one thing during daytime, and another after dark: though poor enough material at any hour. Pg 187—been often thinking about this!

I looked around; then my eyes fell on the shadow of my body, and I stood there for a while, contemplating it. Finally I raised my foot over it agrily. But no, I couldn't trample on my shadow.
Which of us was more of a shadow? It, or I?
Two shadows!
There, there on the ground; Everyone could pass over it, crush my head, trample on my heart; and I would be quiet, my shadow would be quiet.
The shadow of a dead man; that was my life...
pg.199

The epilogue is also interesting in the logic and word games:P For example
Life's absurdities don't have to seem believable, because they are real. As opposed to art's absurdities which, to seem real, have to be believable. Then, when they are believable, they are no longer absurd. pg.256
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Late Mattia Pascal.

02/23/2012 page 10
02/29/2012 page 125
47.0% "interesting and dynamical, with challenging philosophical points of view"
03/03/2012 page 145
55.0% "starts to make me curious about what will happen..."
show 1 hidden update…