Ruth's Reviews > Skipping a Beat

Skipping a Beat by Sarah Pekkanen

Dec 14, 2011

Read from December 14 to 18, 2011

Terrible childhoods bound Michael and Julie together from the time they were teens. After high school graduation they left West Virginia as fast as their dilapidated car could take them. They loved each other dearly and were like pieces of the same puzzle.

Michael became very successful and his company went public earning him a fortune. They had everything that money could buy, attended charity events, and had a mansion. As time went by, Michael spent so much time working on his company that Julie felt alone and empty. As though she had lost him. She appreciated the finer things in life, however, and was afraid that leaving Michael would mean that she would lose this part of her life, too. Things limped along until Michael had a near death experience.

The characters are complex, the book is full of emotional conflict, and you both love and hate the characters at different points in the book. I thought that this book was as good as her first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping a Beat.

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Johnson Hi -- I'm eager to see how you like it. I liked her first one but the book jacket on this one didn't grabe me.

Ruth Interesting that you say that, Anita. I was telling Barb one day that the book jacket and the title were big influences on whether I picked up a book to read the book jacket. I did enjoy her other book and so far (1/3) this has kept me reading.