Chana's Reviews > A Reliable Wife

A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: american, fiction-family-drama, gothic, literature-fiction, not-for-kids
Read on December 14, 2011

I am so good at only reading when I have time but this time I stayed up all night, I did not want to put it down, I was captivated from the very beginning and that feeling never went away. Even the ending was as good as the rest of it, and I am convinced that endings are the most difficult part of a book to write.
A lonely wealthy man in Wisconsin advertises for "a reliable wife". His ad is answered, a correspondence ensues and then she finally arrives on the train. But who is she really and what are her intentions? The man has plans and reasons of his own for what he is doing. Both of them are dragging difficult, burdensome pasts around with them and there are some significant lies below the surface. What can grow out of this beginning? You might be surprised. This is not an easy story, it is often tense, ugly, disturbing and sad; but it is an excellent story, beautiful in its way.

I love Dorothy's description of this book as "a psychological thriller/bodice ripper/possible tale of redemption"

Exactly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reliable Wife.