Nora's Reviews > The Postman

The Postman by David Brin

F 50x66
Dec 14, 11

Don't EVER watch the movie allegedly based on this book. And if you were so unfortunate as to see the movie, try the book anyway, because it is WORLDS better than the movie (when I heard that Kevin Costner was starring in the movie, I knew it would be awful and unfortunately I was right).

The book is a hopeful post-apocalyptic novel, which sounds like a contradiction in terms, but the heart of the book is about hope, about the power of hope to transform not just individual lives but whole communities.

It's also about the power of illusions, of lies that become true because people are willing to believe them. This doesn't just encompass Gordon's pretending to be a postman from the Restored United States (which doesn't exist -- yet), but the computer he encounters in the second part of the book as well.

While in some respects I thought the part of the plot that involved protecting the communities in the Williamette Valley in Oregon against the survivalists was the least interesting part of the book (the most stereotypically good guys v. bad guys section), I admired the way David Brin brought all the other elements of the book together, and resolved its themes, by the conclusion, a moving but not sentimental climax.

Really a terrific book, one of my all-time favorites.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Postman.