Vikki's Reviews > Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden

Dec 14, 11

Read in December, 2011

This is the true story of Dorothy Woodruff and Rosamond Underwood who went to Elkhead,Colorado in 1916 to teach school. They were from the East and had graduated from Smith College. This story is written by Dorothy's granddaughter, who is now an executive director for the New Yorker.
I loved this story. I am very familiar with this part of Colorado so that was fun. And I just love to read about life in the early part of the twentieth century. So this book suited me just fine. The superintendant of the school had the applicants for the position send a picture when they applied. Those pictures were put up for all to see and the cowboys voted on who they wanted for the teachers. Many funny things like that were told in this book. It was a different time!
The teachers boarded with a family who had children in the school. Many years later, Lewis Harrison from that family said, "...I don't believe there ever was a community that was affected more by two people than we were by those two girls." This was a great story and I am so glad I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Daunted.