Jen Fabico's Reviews > The Iron King

Apr 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-50-book-pledge, ya, fantasy, paranormal, series-collection
Read from March 25 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa is book 19 in my 2012 Book Challenge of 50 books.

The book follows a girl named Meghan Chase, who on her sixteenth birthday, begins to have odd things happen to her. Living with a family who always forgets she exists and constantly putting up with high school dramas and bullying, Meghan just wishes she had a different life. And on the doorstep of her sixteenth birth anniversary, she gets exactly that, but not in the way she expects. Meghan's four year old brother is kidnapped and along with her best friend Robbie, who turns out to be Robin Goodfellow, she must journey to the Nevernever to bring her brother home. Along the way, she discovers different species (not all good) living in a world she never knew existed and of course, a young prince with an ice-cold heart who is not able to show love, especially to someone like her.

Filled with adventure, chaos and battles, The Iron King resembles a story similar to old spoken tales, way before they were written. It was truly a non-stop action-filled adventure that left me wishing for a moment to catch my breath as I chased the characters deeper into the rabbit hole.

Overall, I would like to give this book a 3.75 out of 5 stars. Unfortunately, there is a slight deduction but not due to the author's inability to tell a good tale. As I read it, I wished at times that characters took breaks so they could explore their surroundings, the atmosphere, each other's company, etc. before running off to another errand. I believe if this book would be simply amazing as an audio book. During my read, I could not help but think how wonderful it would be to hear a tale like this around a campfire as the baseline has a similar feel to old legends. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the book and am thrilled to say that I will be continuing the series.

So, there you have it! 3.75/5 stars!

Book no. 20 on the 2012 reading challenge is the second installment to the Iron Fey series: The Iron Daughter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.

03/27/2012 page 67