Felicity's Reviews > Blood Will Tell

Blood Will Tell by Samantha Young

5719896
Sep 01, 14

bookshelves: books-i-can-read-again, young-adult, soul-eaters, romance
Read from December 27 to 28, 2011

Blood will Tell is the story of Eden, a soul eater, who by her very existence, is a threat to every human around her. She has grown up seeing her family feast on the souls of humans and sometimes, killing them in the process. Her disgust for her family’s lifestyle has ruled her behaviour for years, keeping her hunger for human souls at bay... until Noah. Noah awakens her hunger for souls like no human has ever done before and to top it all, he soon becomes her best friend - someone who she can be herself with and she will fight her hunger as long as possible to keep her friendship with Noah.

But what Eden does not know is that Noah is a warrior of Ankh, a race of humans with supernatural strength and immortality designed to hunt down and kill soul eaters. Eden is his new assignment and despite years of hating soul eaters, he begins to care about her.

I loved Eden's characer because she is, by nature, a monster and is desperately trying to fight her nature, her hunger for human souls even if it means a slow death for herself. The author describes Eden’s anguish in such detail that I could feel her pain and understand how difficult it is for her to fight her hunger. Also, I liked the fact that she is kind of a bad-ass and a loner.

Noah’s character is also well-written and I really loved the fact that he is so protective of Eden and is always rooting for her even though he is supposed to hate her.

Two characters I really hated were Ryan, Eden’s father and Teagen, Eden’s first cousin, to whom Ryan intended her to be engaged. Ryan and Teagen share a perverse desire to torture and kill the humans whose soul they take and they totally creeped me out.

A special mention must be made about Eden's relationship with her brother, Stellan, which is so beautiful, it made me want to cry. Stellan is a full-fledged soul eater and he tries his hardest to not go down the same path as his father and cousin, all for Eden's sake, even though the temptation is always there. He is the only person Eden can really count on and protects her from their father's anger and their cousin's unwanted advances.

Samantha Young is an amazing writer and her characters are so well-developed that they were almost real to me. Blood will Tell was an incredibly fast-paced read and when it ended, I was left wanting more. Young manages to incorporate the viewpoints of both Eden and Noah particularly well and I especially, enjoyed the flashbacks explaining the history of how the race of soul eaters as well as the Warriors of Ankh was created.

I read Blood will Tell in 6 hours and promptly began reading the second book in this wonderfully written series. Blood will Tell is a refreshingly different paranormal story and is definitely a must-read for fans of the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Will Tell.

12/27/2011 page 27