Darlene 's Reviews > Beach House Memories

Beach House Memories by Mary Alice Monroe

May 08, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, family, mother-daughter, romance, southern, women
Read from May 05 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I won this book from First Reads.

About 10 years I bought a paperback “The Beach House“ to take to the beach. I didn’t know the author but I liked the cover. As I read the first few pages I fell in love with the writing of Mary Alice Monroe and a few pages more I fell in love with the book. It grabbed my heart and wouldn’t let go. I’ve reread it many times and have had to replace that original copy because it was worn out and remains one of my very favorite books.
What a thrill I had last year when I discovered Mary Alice was writing a prequel to The Beach House. Lucky me, I won a hardcover copy from First Reads! I was not disappointed. It took me right back to the beauty of Isle of Palms, the warmth of Primrose cottage, the strength of Lovie Rutledge “The Turtle Lady” and the wondrous story of the loggerhead turtles. I loved this book!!!
This is really Lovie’s story as she is dying of cancer and in her last hours she thinks back to that memorable summer of 1974. I won’t tell you more of the story but I will tell you that this “southern fiction” will draw you in, maybe remind you of your childhood, a love you might have had or give you hope that things can be better or just something to dream about. You will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beach House Memories.