Scott's Reviews > Catch-22

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Jun 19, 2009

bookshelves: adult-books, first-half-of-2009, older-teens, young-adult-books, favorites
Read in June, 2009

One review on my copy of Catch-22 calls it an apocalyptic masterpiece. I don't know what they thought was apocalyptic, devastating, horrifying, yes. But they are right, it is a masterpiece. It is flat-out the funniest thing I have ever read. It walks a fine line between absurdist and genuine, so much so that those lines often cross and blur. It captures the frustrating most have us felt with the hypocrisy of bureaucracy. The little bit of conscience that tells us maybe war isn't the best way to solve our problems, even if we recognize its necessity.
But it is Joseph Heller’s gift for verbal runaround that makes this novel so consuming. Just read a few bits of dialogue, if you aren’t in tears then you are probably a robot. The best of these is when one of the Colonels exclaims, “You mean the enlisted men pray to the same God as we do? And he actually listens to them?” It is still poignant today in our tumultuous times of left vs. right, Christian v. Muslim, etc. etc. etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch-22.

06/09/2009 page 200
44.15% "Easily the funniest book I have ever read."