Nicole's Reviews > Anne of the Island

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

Dec 14, 11

Read in December, 2011, read count: 2

I am just loving this series.

Anne: "I ought to stay in and finish my blouse. But I couldn't stay in and sew on a day like this. There's something in the air that gets into my blood and makes a sort of glory in my soul. My fingers would twitch and I'd sew a crooked seam. So it's ho for the park and the pines." (43)

Anne: "Spring is singing in my blood today and the lure of April is abroad in the air. I'm seeing visions and dreaming dreams, Pris. That's because the wind is from the west. I do love the west wind. It sings of hope and gladness, doesn't it?" (68)

Anne: "None of the plots that suggested themselves suited a girl named Averil."
Diana: "Couldn't you have changed her name?"
Anne: "No, the thing was impossible. I tried to, but I couldn't do it, any more than I could change yours. Averil was so real to me that no matter what other name I tried to give her, I just thought of her as Averil behind it all. But finally I got a plot that matched her. Then came the excitement of choosing names for all my characters. You have no idea how fascinating that is. I've lain awake for hours thinking over those names." (87)

For the next fortnight, Anne writhed or reveled, according to mood, in her literary pursuits. Now she would be jubilant over a brilliant idea, now despairing because some contrary character would not behave properly. Diana could not understand this.
"Make them do what you want them to," she said.
"I can't," mourned Anne. "Averil is such an unmanageable heroine. She will do and say things that I never meant her to. Then that spoils everything that went before and I have to write it all over again." (89)

"I think I will go to the park," said Anne restlessly. "I don't feel like tame domestic joys today. I want to feel alone and free and wild." (162)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of the Island.