Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Cocaine Blues

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Dec 14, 2011

bookshelves: around-the-world, location-australia, read2012, ebooks, secret-agents-and-detectives
Read on June 16, 2012

I would never have come across this book without the huge master lists created by the members of the Around the World in 52 Books challenge that I've been participating in since January. The book title under Australia caught my attention, and when I read the description, I thought it sounded like a fun read. A lady detective in Melbourne, in the 1920s?

I wasn't wrong. I haven't had so much fun reading a mystery novel in a long time. There were moments that made me laugh, and others where I was off looking up a word (subfusc, anyone?). The writing is smart, Phryne Fisher isn't a prude, and she is a self-possessed woman in a time of a lot of silly, shallow women. What isn't to like?

I'm not sure about the quality of the mystery, but I don't care about that. I would probably read more of these just for fun. I hear there is an Australian TV adaptation that some friends have said is great, but this poor American can't get her hands on it in any legal fashion.

I am also left wanting to read more Wallace Stevens, since practically every chapter starts with an excerpt from one of his poems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocaine Blues.

10/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I got it too so I have it my Kindle waiting for me.

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome V. Fantasy has an 'older female heroes' thread about it.

Vidya Ananthanarayanan The TV series is on Netflix, which is how I discovered the books. I have only finished thd first book, but we binge wagcged Season 1, and more recently, Season 2. Essie Davis is outdtanding as Phryne Gisher, the writing is sharp and witty, and Detective-Inspector Robinson manages to convey a wealth of emotion with a mere glance. And, of course now I want a red Hispano-Suiza ;).