Annette Tang's Reviews > Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil

Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez

Jun 17, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Annette by: JennyGranola
Recommended for: people interested in the "Westerners in the East" stories.
Read in June, 2008

This was fun to read, very light, not the greatest writing, but I enjoyed it. I also connect strongly with Rodriguez's desire to help in a permanent way and am impressed that she found such a wonderful way to do it. I went to an Afghan hairdresser in Chapel Hill, NC and remember the first time she said where she was from my brain couldn't combine the two, Afghan and stylist, and I kept thinking she must have said Argentina. I even started talking about a movie called "Tango" and only realized my embarrassing blurb when I saw the confused look on her face. Still, she was wonderful and I'd always wished I'd discovered her sooner (we moved soon after). She was in my thoughts while I read this book.

I've read a number of reviews burning the author for her personality quirks and failings and, though I would probably not want to tell her my secrets, feel that she's human and unashamed of her weaknesses, a trait that I admire (when combined with a touch of reserve). She is a little over the top, but she understands this about herself and though I do feel she has put these women in danger and could have done a better job of protecting their identities, I don't think it's my place to judge her personally.

So in my usual, round-a-bout way I'm saying that I like the author and her book, faults and all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kabul Beauty School.

Leigh Statham HA!!!! Annie! You are never going to believe this but I know that particular beautician you are referring to and loved going to her as well! Honestly, how many Afghan Beauticians are in CH anyway? Maybe a lot more than I think, but it's just one more way that we are forever linked. I"m glad you brought her up. I haven't thought about her in years. Actually, I think she gave me a mullet. Yup.. I think that was her. Maybe I didn't love going to see her? She was very very sweet though. Maybe I should go to bed.