Robin's Reviews > A Kingdom's Cost

A Kingdom's Cost by J.R. Tomlin

Apr 12, 12

liked it
bookshelves: kindle-freebie, kindle, historical-fiction, royalty, 14th-century, scotland
Read from April 03 to 12, 2012

This was well written (apart from some typos which just means it needs an editor - or a better one) with a good plot but I didn't find myself attached to any of the characters. When there were emotional moments for them, I didn't really feel anything because the characters were a little one dimensional.

My only complaint about the writing was that the point of view suddenly switched for the first time about half way through the book. It was written in third person and the benefit of that is being able to write from multiple points of view - but from what I remember, the author did not take advantage of that throughout the whole first half of the book. Up to this point in the novel, we only see James’ point of view and so to sudden switch to someone else so far into the book seemed awkward to me. Especially when, after switching back to James, we never see another point of view again in the rest of the book. So there’s just this one random alternate point of view thrown into the middle of the book. Strange. But apart from that, I thought it was well written.

So while the characters were a bit flat for me, the writing quality and plot is what carried me through to the end of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom's Cost.