George's Reviews > Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1

Invincible by Robert Kirkman

Jun 18, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in June, 2008

If there was such a thing as 3 ½ stars Invincible would get it. That’s mostly because of the art – let’s just say the art isn’t great and leave it at that. But the story – ah yes, the story. Invincible isn’t satire, because Kirkman obviously loves superhero comics. Maybe homage is a better word. The text is full of little jokes and twists that readers of superhero comics will instantly recognize. We’ve all seen the main character slip away from his friend to fight the giant robot and – upon returning – say something like ‘Wow, I lost you in the crowd.’ When Invincible tries to do the same thing his friend says ‘dude…why didn’t you tell me you had superpowers?’

There are other things. Invincible acts like a teenager because he is a teenager; he’s not a little adult in tights, which is how most teen characters in comics are written. He doesn’t join the local team of super-teens because he has too much homework. He works at a burger joint, for god’s sake.

I’ve always wondered whether Robert Kirkman could write dialogue. “Walking Dead” is loaded with so many profanities it’s hard to tell. The characters in “Walking Dead” say things like – pass the BLEEPING salt, you BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP-BLEEPER. Imagine my delight upon discovering that not only can Kirkman write dialogue, he’s good at it. He’s also willing to shake up the status quo; witness the stunning reveal at the end of Issue #7.

Invincible isn’t for everybody. I’m sure some people, upon viewing the contents, would be like ‘what the *&%$#@?’ I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invincible.