Shelley Daugherty's Reviews > All Good Children

All Good Children by Catherine Austen

Dec 17, 11

Read from December 14 to 17, 2011

Maxwell Connors lives in New Middletown in the future. The United States has become divided and he lives in the better part of this world where education is still possible, and freedom comes at a premium. There are security cameras everywhere to keep track of all the citizens of Middletown and the school is no exception. But keeping watch over the citizens is the least of the ideas in this town; the powers-that-be want complete control...mind control.

Max first notices the strange behavior of the students when his little sister points out that her classmates are "all slowed down". When he drops her off at school the next day he notices that children aren't playing on the playground, instead they are silently lined up at the door waiting to go into the school. After time Max also notices the kids he coaches in junior high football also appear to have no real interest in the sport and are rather going through the motions. It all has to do with a new vaccine they are administering in the school. The plan to give it to all the children. But Max doesn't have any desire to become just like everyone else.

Although the storyline was good it did take some time to feel this book got moving. It has well placed humor when it comes to Max and his friends but even this doesn't boost the story until about mid-way through the book. I found that once I got past the half way point I did enjoy the book quite a bit, I just struggled with the beginning.

Due to language and sexual innuendos I would rate this as a 14 and up book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Good Children.